Some of my favourite recipes with chicken.
Herb, lemon and garlic butter roast chicken
- 1 Small to medium chicken
- 1 Bulb of garlic, half crushed and half peeled and chopped
- A tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 Lemon
- Rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper
- Set up the barbecue for hot roasting.
- Mix the butter and the peeled and chopped garlic
- Take the chicken and peel back the skin from the breast meat to form two pockets. Place the garlic butter evenly in each pocket
- Cut the lemon in to quarters and place in the chicken's cavity with the herbs
- Put the chicken on a tray and, once the barbecue is ready, put the tray on the barbecue with the lid on
- Check the chicken for doneness after 1 and 1/2 hours
- Once the chicken is cooked allow to rest for 10 minutes
- Carve and serve
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Thighs
Spicy with a crisp finish
- 2 or 3 chicken thighs per person
- Jamaican jerk seasoning - You can make your own
- Set up the barbecue for grilling.
- Rub generous quantities of Jerk seasoning on to each side of the chicken
- Put the chicken on to the grill skin side down just around the edge of the charcoal, once the barbecue is ready, put the lid on it it flairs up
- Turn the chicken after 10 minutes
- Rotate the chicken after a further 10 minutes so that the skin side remians up but the meat evenly faces the heat
- Rotate the chicken again as before so the meat cooks evenly
- You can place the lid on the barbecue during cooking to help cook a little faster and for more moist meat
- When the chicken is done, serve immediately
Cooking chicken thighs on the grill
Chicken thighs are arguably the tastiest piece of the chicken and available with the bone if you prefer. Add any marinade you like, or use a dry rub seasoning and enjoy delicious crisp skin. Use the Grilling technique starting the chicken off to the side of the heat.